In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Sanford-Springvale Historical Society

Sanford Town Hall, ca. 1900

Contributed by Sanford-Springvale Historical Society
MMN Item 16435 Item Details
Sanford Town Hall, ca. 1900
MMN Item 16435 Zoom

Description

This building was constructed in 1873 at a cost of $4,354 and for 35 years served as the town house of Sanford and Springvale villages.

It became known as the Springvale Town Hall after the construction of the new Town Hall in Sanford in 1908.

It was used for many years for dramatic, athletic, school and other events but by the 1950s was used so seldom that the Town Meeting in 1961 voted to sell it. The offers received were too low to be seriously considered.

The building was used for about 30 years as the headquarters for the Sanford-Springvale Youth Athletic Association. With the opening of the refurbished Nasson Gymnasium (renamed the Nasson Community Center) the SSYAA moved out.

In 2005, the building was turned over to the Sanford-Springvale Historical Society for a museum, which opened in 2006.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.