In 1927 the Sanford Historical Committee was established as a town committee "to acquire, preserve and display items of historical significance to the Town of Sanford," The committee soon began building up a collection.
There no permanent home for these items, and so in 2005 the Sanford-Springvale Historical Society was founded as a non-profit organization. The society's aim was to acquire a permanent structure to house the collection of the Historical Committee. This goal was accomplished in 2006 when the collection was moved to the old town hall in Springvale.
The Sanford Historical Committee and the Sanford-Springvale Historical Committee are separate entities, with the Committee being a town board and the Society being a private, non-profit, organization. The two work very closely together, however, share similar duties and responsibilities, and are affiliated.
Selected Sanford-Springvale Historical Society images:
- 17 June Street, Sanford
- Goodall Mansion, Sanford, ca 1905
- Celebration in Sanford Square, ca. 1892
- Sanford Town Hall, ca. 1900
- Thomas Goodall, Sanford
- Indian's Last Leap, Springvale
- School Street, Sanford, ca. 1885
- Main Street, Sanford, ca 1900
- Louis B. Goodall, Sanford, 1910
- Looking from School Street to Main Street, Sanford
- Women employees, Sanford Mills, circa 1910
- Frank Broggi's Fruit Store, Sanford Square, ca 1905